My new site at www.mormondefense.net is currently under construction. Feel free to take a look at what I've got so far!

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Home to That God Who Gave Them Life

I grew up a big baseball fan. In fact, I still am quite the fan of the boys of Summer. I began this interest at about the age of 8. I remember listening on the radio to the Seattle Mariners, boy were they bad back then! Nonetheless, I enjoyed the mental imagery as I listened to the games. It was a pair of voices I grew up with, Rick Rizzs and Dave Niehaus. One of those two great voices left us this week, (Niehaus) and went home to That God who gave (him) life (Alma 40:11). I was surprised at how deeply his passing affected me. It was approaching the level of when I lost my Great-grandpa, my grandfather and a good family friend. I first wondedd how this could even compare to those of my own family. Then I began to realize, I listened to him for years, nearly every game for a decade. He was not just calling a baseball game, he often shared his life with us, his memories of baseball, his family stories, and his passion for life.
He suffered a heart attack, and it was a sad end to he life of a man who touched so many. I was reminded of the wonderful peace that awaits us as we pass through to the other side, and the possibility of salvation for all thanks to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and His atonement. I have been reading both the scriptures, as well as other experiences of those who have gone beyond the veil and come back. They describe the peace and love there, and how some are told to come back and share that love as well as help those in need. I have a desire to share love and give peace throughout my life, and have been reminded and re-energized with this charge due to my recent studies and the passing of this great man. Scriptures that have run through my mind for most of the week are: 1 Corinthians 5:20-22, Alma 11:42-43, 3 Nephi 1:13-14, as well as all of 3 Nephi 11. I am greatful for the knowledge of a life after this one, and the prospect of eternal families and the eternal nature of the soul. For this reason, I grieve for those that die, but I am quickly comforted when I think on the world that awaits after this one. I am excited by it and I'm thrilled and humbled by the awesome duty we have to fulfill the mission of the church 1. Proclaim the gospel. 2. Perfect the Saints. 3. Redeem the dead 4 Care for the poor and needy. I think all 4 of these go hand in hand with our pre-mortal, mortal, and post-mortal existence and opportunities. As the Holiday Season approaches us and we take time to refect with gratitude, celebrate the birth of The Master, and begin a year anew, may we be always mindful of those who have gone before, those who are with us, and those who will pass to the other side. Live according to our convictions so we may touch others the way we have been asked to do.

Sources: "Echoes From Eterity" Arvin S Gibson

"Life Everlasting" Duane Crowther

http://www.mynorthwest.com/category/mariners

Justin Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment