My new site at www.mormondefense.net is currently under construction. Feel free to take a look at what I've got so far!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Religious freedom and the Gospel

by Justin Hansen

Last week, Elder Oaks was on The Hugh Hewitt show and gave an hour long interview. This was a good one, and I was glad to see Mr. Hewitt graciously host Elder Oaks. Though there were some who maligned Elder Oaks Sources, the message resonated that religious freedom worldwide may be, if possible, on the decline. The interview started me thinking, are we in trouble as far as being able to worship how we chose? Will things get better as far as other places in the world having opportunities to grow their freedoms, both religious and otherwise? What is it that will or must happen to see the agency of man reach it’s full and unhindered potential? I am not sure about the answer to these questions, but I do know that God does know. I was consistently reminded of the words spoken by President Gordon B Hinckley in the Priesthood session of Oct 1997. ....If necessary, the God of Heaven will shake the nations in order to humble them, so that they will listen to God’s word.” I am confident this will happen, by that I mean, the nations and cities will open, freedom will eventually come, a matter of when escapes me, but the truth of t is, it will happen. Elder Oaks was a good spokesman for the Church and for religious freedom in this front, he had, just before the radio interview given a speech at Chapman University Law School regarding the law and religious freedom. He felt it was important to maintain the opportunities to live and worship as we chose. There was a lot in both the interview and the speech that I won’t go over here, only that it is important to pray as our leaders have asked us to do, for our leaders both of the church, and in our respective political arenas (even if we are in total disagreement with them, especially then, in my opinion). President Monson has asked that we pray for those nations now closed to the preaching of the gospel to be opened. I see this as a great opportunity for us to exert our faith toward building the kingdom. If we do not bring scores into the fold, we can try to use our faith and prayers to help move the work forward. I am also inclined to submit that if Christianity can go in, it will give further light and knowledge to those without it. The religious practices of others are a beautiful thing, they have been given a portion of God’s light and knowledge to help them on this earth, and I hope to see the day when nations are opened. We saw that just last year with Cameroon and a few other African Nations. Again, I hope to see progress in this front, increase in religiosity throughout the country and the world. Elder Oaks guessed that this was declining some as of late, but he stated he was confident it would and could pick up again.
If this post seems disjointed, it probably is. Just know that I am among those who longs to see the kingdom move forward, I know it will, and we will see it, either in this life or the next, as Joseph Smith declared This work will go forth boldly, nobly and independent. I pray to be able to see and maintain this vision and to be able to help bring his vision of this work to fruition. May we all strive to do this in the way we live.

Sources: http://www.hughhewitt.com/transcripts.aspx?id=95602667-634d-41f0-a6c4-cfcfa88b4726

http://townhall.com/TalkRadio/Show.aspx?RadioShowID=5

No comments:

Post a Comment